The Bowder Stone

Tuesday 17 January 2017. I started the day with a couple of atmospheric shots of the mist shrouding Derwentwater and Cat Bells.

Both Karen and I are suffering with sore legs as a result of yesterday’s walk up Lonscale Fell. I think it is the downhill that does this for me. Putting our aches and pains to one side, we drove down Borrowdale to repeat a walk that I did with Jacqui almost 2 years ago. Parking near the Bowder Stone we walked back up the road to Grange where, for a short while, we followed the route of the Cumbria way before turning off to cross the River Greta on the Chinese Bridge. We stopped for coffee here before heading for the Lodore Falls.

The footbridge behind the Lodore Hotel still hasn’t been repaired from the floods of Dec 15 so we made a short diversion to approach the falls from a different direction. When I did the walk with Jacqui we took an “off path” route up the side of the falls and only joined the “official path” towards the top of the falls. I was determined not to repeat this mistake and easily found the proper route. This navigational success was short-lived as soon after I took a wrong turn as can be seen on the loop near Hogs Earth marked on the map. It was at this point we were caught up by a couple of similar age who had been thrown by the diversion around the Lodore Hotel and were now trying to find their way back to the Borrowdale Road and Derwentwater. They didn’t appear to have a map and were following a route from a walks leaflet. I suggested that they follow me as I back-tracked and I would then point them in the right direction. Clearly they had little confidence in my navigational skills and headed off in the opposite direction to us. We were making for the footbridge across Watendlath Beck whilst they were heading towards the water but with no way of getting across. Needless to say we never saw them again and for all I know they might still be wandering around in the woods above Lodore Falls. It seems that you just can’t help some people, even when they need it!

We walked beside the beck into the hamlet of Watendlath where we had lunch, feeding crumbs to a friendly Robin. It was 2:20 and I estimated that we would be back at the car by 3:10pm. It took us 90 minutes to do the next 1.5 miles due to a combination of an uphill climb over Puddingstone Bank and rocky slippery descent through Frith Wood. We stopped briefly for a photo opportunity at The Bowder Stone before walking the final half mile back to the car. Both Karen and I were glad that the walk had come to and end and slumped back into the cushioned car seats totally knackered. The walk was 7.75 miles with a total ascent of just over 1,800ft.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s