Three Peaks Country

Friday 30 August. I had to go to Settle this morning to visit my podiatrist. When I first saw him, 6 weeks ago, he made me a temporary orthotic for my left boot to relieve the pain in my metatarsal heads. This has worked well, but since then I’ve developed a similar pain in my right foot. Another temporary orthotic was made for the right boot and I’m in the process of trying it out. I hope that it will be as effective as that for my left foot. I have to ring the podiatrist on 18 Sep to make an appointment to see him again for the production and fitting of permanent orthotics. This will mean another trip to Settle but I’m sure that it will be worth it and I can tie this in with a visit to my brother in Harrogate.

Not wanting to waste the day, I stopped off in Horton-in-Ribblesdale on the way back for a short 6¼ mile walk with 900ft of ascent. Horton is the starting point for the 25 mile route taking in all three of the Yorkshire Peaks. Anyone doing it today wouldn’t have had much of a view as the tops were shrouded in cloud. I contented myself with a lower level route which followed the Pennine Way out of Horton. I then diverted on to the Ribble Way before coming back on a slightly longer section of the Pennine Way. I met a guy and his teenage son who asked me how far it was to the Ribblehead viaduct. He had a map and compass, so I don’t know why he couldn’t work this out for himself. I guessed that it was about 4 miles. I’m not sure, but it seemed that they had already done Pen-y-Ghent and were thinking about doing the full 25 mile round. I suggested that they should give Whernside a miss and pointed out a short cut to the top of Ingleborough. To his credit he did have a map and compass but no real idea of the lie of the land. I wouldn’t want to have been led by him.

I got back into Horton at about 13:30 and thought that I would treat myself to a cooked lunch. The Crown is the only pub in the village so I called in to order a drink and Steak & Ale pie. There were only 4 other customers and the pub had as much atmosphere as a graveyard. 20 minutes later there was still no sign of my meal so I enquired where it was. I learned that the chef was leaving next week and had ignored my order. I wasn’t prepared to wait any longer and asked for a refund. The landlady apologised profusely and gave me £10 back for the meal which would have cost £9.30. When I’m next in Horton, I’ll make do with a bacon butty from the café down the road.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s