I needed to recce my St Ives walk for the coming Sunday to ensure that the flood water had receded and that it was passable. On a crisp clear Thursday morning I started this 8 mile walk bright and early at 08:30. I needn’t have worried about the underfoot conditions as the overnight frosts had frozen the ground and the flooding was no more. My only worry now is that the weather on Sunday isn’t forecast to be too great with showers or rain.
The weather on the day of the walk was more or less as predicted and this was probably the reason why only 7 members turned out. It stayed dry until our lunch break which was taken under shelter in Houghton village. The walk back to St Ives became progressively wetter and I was glad that we hadn’t left it any later as, in the last 15 minutes or so, it turned to heavy & persistent rain.